Sunday, May 20, 2012

Sunday Supper at Southpaw BBQ

It's a real shame I couldn't stomach the protein at Southpaw BBQ and Southern Cooking. Not because it wasn't any good, but because I'd picked up an awful bug a few days prior that had me sticking to a measly diet of rice, bread and more bread, and pretty much nothing else for days.

Fortunately, by the time we got to Southpaw, I was able to handle a bit of veg, so ordered up a green salad along with the super fresh and available-for-a-limited-time-only grilled ramps (aka wild leeks or spring onions) accompanied by a dollop of grits, pickled veg, and ... sigh ... more bread.
 
Of course, I couldn't help but sneak a tiny taste off of JP's plate, piled high as it was with big hunky pieces of sauce-laden, smoked and pulled pork shoulder. Unfortunately, the hush puppies were a bit leaden and doughy, though the vinegar-braised collard greens were mighty fine. DP wanted more of a ham hock flavor, but I was happy with its bright tangy profile. Definitely plan to go back when stomach is back in working order to judge for myself whether the ribs rank up there with my own rendition.

No comments: