Sunday, March 9, 2008

A Spot of Curry


I couldn't leave the UK without getting in some curry. New York and San Francisco have some swell Indian and Pakistani eateries, but it was when I was living in London that I'd had the best curry ever. So while in Norwich, on a fellow workmate's recommendation, I had a go of Spice Lounge on Wensum Street, and I wasn't disappointed. I walked into the nightclubby lounge (complete with neon lighting) of this split-level resto, not quite sure what to expect. One of the six eager waiters promptly ushered me up the stairs and plunked me down in front of the large TV screen blaring the latest and greatest Bollywood music videos. I was handed a menu listing no less than 60 different options ... my mind was a-whirl. After some friendly consultation with my waiter, I finally settled on the king prawn tikka masala and the vegetable bhaji along with a fluffy disk of garlic naan and a hefty scoop of basmati rice. Were my eyes bigger than my stomach? Mmmm, you could say so, but not by much. The tikka masala was really really good—sweeter and more tomatoey than the version I get at Punjab Kabab in SF. I'm glad I'd ordered the veggie bhaji; it's a savory combo of green beans, peas, carrots, onions and potatoes. I shoveled in as much as I could (it wasn't hard to do) and then rolled on home, happy I'd gotten in my fill of sugar and spice and everything nice.

No comments: