Sunday, October 7, 2007

Underdog Is Overwhelmingly Good



I just moved back to the Inner Sunset and noticed a new and welcome addition to the hood: a sausage joint called Underdog. I've always thought highly of the wiener dog, having grown up eating them almost daily in place of breakfast sausages. Yep, mine was an Oscar Mayer kinda household; Jimmy Dean had no place in my family. So, after walking past Underdog a few times, I thought tonight was the night to give it a try. When I walked into the hole-in-the-wall eatery, I felt like I'd stumbled into a co-op in Berkeley—the walls were plastered with peace symbols, John Lennon posters and all manner of beatnik-meets-flower child paraphernalia. The smiling gal wearing beads and a bandana doorag who came out from the back to help me could very well have been working at a vegan cafe on Telegraph Ave. Reggae played softly as I perused the all-organic, partially vegetarian and vegan menu.

I settled on the Andouille sausage comprising organic chicken and turkey with Cajun spices served up on a (what else?) organic whole-wheat bun. I slathered the plump dog with organic stone-ground mustard, relish, diced red onions, sauerkraut and lotsa ketchup. And for good measure, I ordered the baked tater tots made of organic russet potatoes. For the modest price of 6 bucks and change, I had a fabulous meal. It was so good that halfway through, I had to stop just long enough to text my friend JP: "the dog & tots rock!" A juicy and, dare I say, healthy dog with super crispy BAKED tots? You just can't beat it, if you ask me.

No comments: