Monday, February 26, 2007

The Flash



This is the Flash: a vigorously shaken gin, cucumber and muddled kiwi and lime martini that brings a smile to my face every time I order it at Rye, my new fave lounge-bar in the 'Loin (look at the fruit-filled bartender's station below; tell me, how can you not love this place). Rye makes me think of my old fave bar in Manhattan, Blue Owl, which had a very similar beverage with a phenomenal $5 happy hour every day—a good thing too since its beautifully concocted drinks are normally $12 a pop. Rye's happy hour deal isn't as good, but heck, I'm not complaining about the $2 discount off its $9 cocktails. Having gotten used to the $10 and $12 prices in NYC, I'm loving that even SF's crème de la crème of the specialty cocktail scene charge an average of $8 per. Of course, the nightlife isn't as hopping as it is in Gotham, so I'm not exactly taking advantage of this fact. ... Ah well, my liver could use the break. My new mantra: fresh air, fresh food, live long(er) ... Yes? No? Some day I will believe.

No comments: