Saturday, December 15, 2007

Odeng at Midnight

My final food foray in Korea was a midnight trip to a nearby odeng (fishcake) vendor. My aunt had announced at dinner that she would take me there that night, but I really didn't think it would happen. After all, she'd been falling asleep on the couch, in a failing attempt to watch her favorite soap opera, by about 9:30 to 10 p.m. every night during my stay. And in fact, I'd been getting to bed before 11 p.m. daily. Tonight was no exception. However, my uncle (who tends to burn the midnight oil) rousted us both out of of bed and out into the bitter cold.


I was glad he had. Despite the below-freezing temps, folks were out and about, and a small crowd was already enjoying the odeng that my uncle and aunt so love.


All you do is walk right up and grab a stick of your choice out of the simmering water (the tips are color-coded based on the type of fishcake skewered onto it), pour yourself some of the fish broth to sip on and set up some dipping sauce in a bowl. Uncle gobbled down four skewers to eemo's one. I passed on the odeng entirely. Not really my thing, though I did drink down some of the lovely hot broth. And I was happy to try some of the set-your-mouth-on-fire spicy rice dumplings ordered on the side.



All in all, a really good time, and a wonderful trip all-round. Thanks, eemo and uncle!

No comments: