Sunday, December 16, 2007

Roy's on the Big Island

My sister planned a lovely little side trip to the Big Island during our week-plus stay in Hawaii. While there, we had a hefty and better-than-average meal at Roy's in Kailua-Kona. Here's SP enjoying the prix fixe appetizer sampler with baby back rib, veggie spring roll and a skewered grilled shrimp. I opted for the same, and give it a thumbs up.

My sis went for the salmon entree while I chose a local fish called opah. Both were pretty good. But it was my dad's entree that ruled: the lamb with mashed kabocha, broccoli rabe and watercress on top. Holy toledo. It was amazing. My dad was so pleased; he knew he had the winning meal, and kept saying so. Luckily, Roy's gives generous portions, so he shared his bounty with me.


Super creative? No, but pretty damn tasty.


The succulent lamb paired with the peppery cress and sweet kabocha mash reigned supreme.


My ma was quite pleased with her surf n' turf of Szechwan spiced baby back ribs and grilled sesame shrimp.


Dinner ended on a sweet note with molten chocolate soufflé and a dollop of vanilla ice cream.

No comments: