Saturday, March 24, 2007

Next time I'll get the schnitzel

Germans are serious about breakfast; memories of Bavarian buffets packed to the gills with cold cuts, cheese, breads, eggs and more have stuck with me since my last proper visit to Deutschland in 2000. So I guess I shouldn't have been so surprised to see how large a spread Suppenkuche serves for brunch—schnitzel, sausage, bacon and eggs galore. Since I'd had a fat burger and fries at 11:00 the night before, I thought I'd take the high road and order up the muesli, yogurt and fruit concoction. My b'fast mate followed my meat-less lead, choosing the emperor's pancakes with apple and plum compote (yup, that's them pictured below).

Sitting at one of Suppe's communal farm tables, we happily tucked into our carb-laden dishes surrounded by the mellow chatter of a hip/Euro-esque crowd enjoying a really warm day (few and far between) in SF. I'm thinkin', it can't really get any better than this ... although next time, schnitzel is set to play the starring role.

No comments: