Sunday, November 11, 2007

Samovar Tea with Friends

Preggers PH wanted to have a girly get-together before baby #2 came along, and we were only too happy to oblige. LC chose Samovar Tea Lounge on Sanchez. Sitting in the well-cushioned nook at the front of the tea house with the sun shining brightly (it had been pouring down rain the day before), we happily indulged in the English, Japanese and Moroccan-style tea service as we gabbed about everything from tasselled pasties to hairless bears and cheating on your hair guy.
When my tower of English goodies got to the table, I was psyched. The three tiers came loaded with fresh fruit, a lovely scone with Devonshire cream and strawberry jam,and my fave, the eggy Shitake mushroom quiche sitting on a bed of mixed greens. I washed the gorgeous lot down with several cups of strong black tea. What a perfect way to spend a Sunday afternoon. We didn't want to leave.
But of course we did. The hungry folks crowding the entryway finally guilted us out of there. Though I'd been to the Samovar branch in SoMa months ago, I'd never been to this location. Truth be told, I'd sort of put Samovar out of my head since my one experience hadn't been a terribly positive one—let's just say the alarmingly pink centers of the chicken chunks crowding the salad I'd ordered had put me off the idea that the Samovar in the Castro would be a good place to go. I was wrong. Love this place. Only thing missing: coffee. No biggie. I got my caffeine fix across the street at newly opened Urban Bread.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would like to exchange links with your site cupcakesandkimchi.blogspot.com
Is this possible?